The Palace of the Duke of NorfolkIn Print: Souvenir of Sir Thomas Browne, With Twelve Illustrations, and Notes, n.p. Description:"This represents the Palace with its courtyard, situated on the east side of Duke Street; it covered a large space of ground and extended so far as the river.
In 1602 the old palace was demolished, and the new one built by Henry Howard, created Lord Howard of Castle Rising in 1669, subsequently –1672– Earl of Norwich, and Earl Marshal of England. On the death of his brother in 1677, he became the sixth Duke of Norfolk. He was the grandson of Thomas, the celebrated Earl of Arundel, whose collection of marbles and other treasures was presented by him, at the suggestion of John Evelyn, to the University of Oxford, and his grandfather's library, which was valued at £10,000, he gave to the Royal Society. Evelyn describes the magnificence of the Palace, its collection of choice jewels, rare cabinets, pictures, tapestries, and plate, the very drinking cups of gold, and even the fireirons of silver, and the almost regal state maintained by the Earl, which Evelyn mentions as surpassing the grandeur of any prince in Europe. Dr. Fuller tells us that it was the largest palace he had ever seen out of London.
In September, 1671, Charles II and his Court were sumptuously entertained at this splendid mansion. It was on this occasion that the
abilities of Sir Thomas Browne were appreciated, and his loyalty rewarded by the King conferring on him the honour of Knighthood.
The property originally existed in the form of tenements, and belonged to Alan Percy, a priest, whose portrait is to be seen in the Guildhall
Norwich. He was brother to the Earl of Northumberland, of whom the property was purchased by the Duke of Norfolk. The whole of this magnificent pile of buildings was demolished in 1708 by the grandson of Henry Howard who died in 1684.
The sketch is taken from a rare print to be found in Mrs. Madder's ‘Handbook of Norwich,’ 1857" (Williams, n.p.).